Someone Has Registered a Company at My Address

Someone Has Registered a Company at My Address (What to Do)

Finding out that someone has registered a company at your address is alarming. Whilst it could be a mistake, it’s possible that there is a criminal reason for them doing so, and it might be linked to fraudulent activity. 

If you are receiving unwanted mail and communications due to someone registering a company at your address without your permission, there are several things that you can do. Below is your guide to dealing with the situation, and hopefully get it resolved satisfactorily.

The first thing we advise you to do is contact the company or its directors to request that they change the registered office address. Look up the company name and any named people on the correspondence. 

If you have no luck with this, you should contact Companies House with evidence of the disputed registered office address. They should investigate the matter and decide based on the evidence you provide what has happened. 

We explain how to do all this and more towards the end of this guide.

Why has someone registered a company at my address in the UK?

There are a several reasons why someone registers a company at an address without permission. It might be an honest mistake through a careless error, or it could be a deliberate attempt to commit fraud.

When someone registers a company at an address for fraudulent purposes, they can then try to use it to open bank accounts, apply for credit, or commit other types of fraud. This can have serious consequences for you, the property owner.

Another possible scenario is that the company is using the address as a virtual office. This is a legitimate practice, but it can be a nuisance for the property owner. They may receive mail and visitors intended for the company, which can be disruptive and time-consuming.

business registered at my address

In any case, it is important for the property owner to take action to resolve the situation as soon as possible. 

What can I do if a company is using my address in the UK?

If someone has registered a company at your address in the UK without your permission, here are the steps we recommend you take to resolve the situation. 

1. Contact the company

The first step is to contact the people or company that has registered at your address. You might be able to find a website, or perhaps look names up on the Companies House entry for the company. 

If the company refuses to remove your address, you may need to take further action. The next step is to contact Companies House to report the unauthorised use of your address.

2. Document everything

When you contact the company or directors, it is important to document the details of your conversation, including the date, time, and name of the person you spoke to.

You should also keep a copy of any letters or forms you submit to Companies House or other relevant authorities. This documentation will be useful if you need to take legal action in the future.

In addition to documenting your communications, you should also keep a record of any expenses you incur because of the unauthorised use of your address. This may include the cost of forwarding mail or changing your address with other organisations.

You might be able to claim this money back in the future if legal action is pursued.

3. Reporting to the authorities

You can report the fraudulent use of your address to the authorities. Here are some organisations you can contact:

  • Companies House: You can report the fraudulent use of your address to Companies House. They will investigate and take appropriate action to remove the company from your address. You can also apply to change a disputed registered office address. 
  • Action Fraud: You can report the fraudulent use of your address to Action Fraud. They are the UK’s national fraud and cybercrime reporting centre. 
  • Police: You can report the fraudulent use of your address to the police. 

4. Legal recourse

If you have not managed to remove the company that was registered to your home address, you could speak with a solicitor who specialises in company law. They will advise you on your legal rights and options and could also help you prepare legal documents, such as a letter of objection to Companies House, or a court order to remove the company from your address.

How to stop someone registering a business at your address

Secure your post

It could be that the person who registered a business at your address has easy access to your post and has been able to intercept mail. Consider setting up a mailbox with a lock on it, and think about who has potential access to post coming to your address.

Monitor your credit

Someone could be using your personal information to commit fraud. By monitoring your credit report, you can catch any suspicious activity early and take action to protect yourself. You can request a free credit report from each of the three credit reference agencies in the UK: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.

You could also sign up for a credit monitoring service. This type of service will alert you if there are any changes to your credit report, such as a new account being opened in your name. Some credit monitoring services also offer identity theft insurance, which can provide additional protection in case your identity is stolen.